How A Shopping Cart Made Me Deaf
Did I just say a shopping cart made me Deaf?
Yes, I sure did. Here is the story.
Few days before Halloween at merely sixteen months old, I licked a shopping cart, among a number of other germy things I put in my mouth.
I had flu-like symptoms (listless, crankiness, fever, vomiting). Everyone in the household was sick with the flu, so my mom assumed I had the flu. However, she realized I started to show different symptoms. I was becoming more and more lethargic and my neck became stiff. My temperature kept on spiking up and up.
My mom took me to the doctor. The doctor assured her that it was the flu and sent us home. After a long sleepless night, the doctor’s office called and said to take me to the hospital ASAP. We hightailed it to the hospital on Halloween out of all days. The doctors, in Halloween costumes, examined me.
They did a spinal tap to test for meningitis and immediately treated me for meningitis.
The outcome was that I, a sixteen months old baby, had bacterial meningitis.
The high fevers I suffered damaged the tiny receptive hairs in my cochlea, which left me with a severe hearing loss in both ears.
At that moment, I was no longer hearing. I was no longer “perfect” in many people’s eyes. I did not have the ability to hear music or people conversing with their voices. However, I don’t consider that a loss because I gained deafness.
Just like my brown eyes and my strong-willed personality, Deafness is a part of who I am.
Back then, my family and I had no clue that my journey had just started the moment I got sick with bacterial meningitis and became Deaf. Now everywhere I turn, I find opportunities to educate people.
“Deaf people can do anything except hear.” – I. King Jordan
Now, growing up Deaf has its pros & cons, you can read more about it HERE.