DIY: Recycle Broken Crayons

DSC06655

Today, I will show you a way to recycle broken crayons!

If you find yourself having a hard time throwing broken crayons away then this tutorial is for you!

recycle broken crayonsA couple of weeks ago, I found a tutorial to melt crayons in cookie cutters. I wanted to make new crayons and put them in Coral’s Christmas stocking. It was a major fail!

Melted crayons went all over the pan and cookie cutters. I used my fingernails to remove the melted crayons off the pan. My fingernails were colorful for two days. I threw all melted crayons parts on a plate and left it there for a couple of weeks. I couldn’t bring myself to throw these away because I was determined to make the melted crayons useful again.

After a couple of weeks, I realized I had a mini cupcake/muffin pan in my kitchen. DUH!

-For this project, you will need broken crayons, non-stick spray, a mini cupcake/muffin pan and obviously, an oven.-

*This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase via the links, you are helping me to keep Mommy Gone Tropical up & running!

[Read more…]

So, I preheated the oven at 300 degrees, sprayed the pan with non-stick oil and broke apart the melted crayons into smaller parts. I tried my best to put similar colors in each spot so they would not become a brown mess.

recycle broken crayons

From a failed melting crayon project. You can see the half of a green Christmas tree.

recycle broken crayons

I tried my best to put similar colors, but you can see there are different colors mixed in as well. Now, I think the mixed colors are worth it! You will see why!

recycle broken crayons recycle broken crayons

Leave it in the oven for about 5-8 minutes. Mine melted completely in 6 minutes. Carefully, take the pan out of the oven and place it on the kitchen counter to cool off.

recycle broken crayons

I left it to cool off for about 20 minutes and moved the pan to the freezer for about an hour. Once the melted crayons are frozen, they will be easier to pop off from the pan.

recycle broken crayons

Examine your brand new colorful crayons in awe! Some of the recycled melted crayons looked ugly, but most of the new crayons were vibrant and gorgeous.

recycle broken crayons
recycle broken crayons

Which one is your favorite?! Mine is the swirly orange, pink & white one in the last picture, top left.

1. Wow! That is the coolest idea ever. Thanks for the step by step. I’m going to do this. My kids are old enough that they’ll have fun participating as well. Can’t wait!!

2. Wow this is an awesome idea. Being a gramma I do happen to have leftover crayons hanging around….will have to remember to do this.
    Gloria @ Homemade & Yummy recently posted…Apple Rose PuffsMy Profile

3. Caroline says:

How clever and easy I must try this were the queens of broken crayons lol

4. Eloise says:

thanks for the step by step directions! I’ve kept all my kids small crayon pieces and will now try this out.

5. Anissa says:

Lol, if only I knew about upcycling as a kid. In middle school we had one of those old school heaters and we would melt our crayons so we could have circle crayons. We got in trouble eventually but that’s only because our teacher didn’t know about the hype.

6. Kari says:

What a fun day! I’ll have to try this with my summer camp kids!
    Kari

7. Willow says:

What a great idea! I could see kids loving these! They are so colorful – kind of like a tie-dye!
    Willow recently posted…Vegan BBQ Tostadas with Chipotle Hummus and Caramelized OnionsMy Profile

8. When I was growing up, I had a crayola crayon maker that allowed you to melt old crayons into molds that would shape them like crayons. It was sometimes messy and only partially successful.. This is a great idea! Thanks for sharing

9. Colleen C says:

I LOVE this idea! I’ve always felt so sad whenever I’ve had throw away any of my daughter’s crayon stubs. I can’t wait to use this craft technique! xoxoxo

10. Jenny says:

What a fun idea! I love the look of some of the swirly, colorful crayons. Those would be really fun for kids to use.

11. Kari says:

I remember doing this all the time when I was little!

12. Marleen says:

clever idea and a great way to reduce waste

13. Rhi says:

Cool idea. You could turn them into any shape with the right pan.

14. Jen says:

This is SUCH a great idea! And it looks so easy! Thank you for sharing!

15. Ashima says:

Nice one!! Crayons don’t go waste!! Love the colors!!

16. Nimi Popat says:

what a cool diy post. loved it.

17. Nicole says:

Love this! Such a great idea 🙂

18. Fashiondra says:

That look like water marble gorgeous !

19. Caroline says:

I LOVE blue so of course I am really liking the blue one! This is super cool! Glad you were able to make it work. I’ve seen something like this before on pinterest but never really stopped and checked out how they were done. Love that it actually seems so simple and doable! Thanks for sharing! How did Coral enjoy them! Have they been used!?

I am so glad I didn’t throw the broken crayons out and decided to give them a second chance. Coral loves to break them apart and treat them like a puzzle, lol. Not so much for coloring. Hopefully, she will use them for coloring soon!