Think You Are Cut Out To Be Deaf? Pros & Cons

Think You Are Cut Out To Be Deaf? Pros & Cons Of Being Deaf By Mommy Gone Tropical

“Do you know Braille?” “Can you drive?” “Can you read?” “When you have sex, is it quiet?” “Do you need a wheelchair?” “You are too beautiful to be Deaf.” “Hold my hand, I will help you walk over there.” “I totally understand, my dog is deaf, too!” “Can you hear me?” What about now? Now?!”

“I am so sorry you are Deaf!”

I have lost count of how many people say they wish they could be Deaf. There are various reasons why they would say that, like the scratching sound on the chalkboard or a loud baby cry. However, not all people can be Deaf. You have to go through the difficult times to truly grasp what being Deaf is like. Being Deaf is exhausting sometimes since you have to encounter language barriers, ignorant people and feeling isolated in the hearing world.

[wc_row][wc_column size=”one-half” position=”first”]

Pros:

Be a part of a rich and diverse culture that most people do not often experience.

Have the ability to be a part of both Deaf and hearing worlds.

Automatically have friends in the Deaf community that will stick around for the rest of your life.

Learn sign language.

Be bilingual in ASL and English, or even multilingual if your family converses in another language.

Be skillful at reading body language.

Learn to read at an accelerated rate. Be an expert speller.

Have your class notes printed out ahead of time as you cannot write and watch the interpreter at the same time.

Be a better driver than hearing people because your peripheral vision is enhanced.

Have a deep and private conversation with someone else in sign language through a window, underwater, in a church or in a loud crowded place.

Will not be able to hear your baby wail 3557326 times a day.

Sleep through ANYTHING.

Can still ‘hear’ music through sign language and vibrations.

Be able to concentrate on a book, homework, work projects, etc without any distractions.

Get a front row seat at shows since that is where the interpreter is at.

Get discounts at certain parks/places just for being Deaf.

[/wc_column][wc_column size=”one-half” position=”last”]

Cons:

People believe that all Deaf people can speak, read lips fluently and/or want cochlear implants. They think cochlear implants and/or hearing aids ‘cure’ deafness. Click here to hear what cochlear implants sound like.

Always have to be on your best behavior, because you represent the Deaf community.

Some people will see you as a disabled person that cannot function in life. Society will always judge and oppress you.

People let you participate in activities but do not give you the chance to win.

Get a job interview but they never call back about a job even though you are a perfect match because they find out you are Deaf.

Be bullied in school when other kids mock you by signing.

Have a Jehovah’s Witness knock at your door to get you to join their program at their church because someone told them you are Deaf. Privacy invasion.

Be the last person to laugh at a joke among hearing friends.

Feel like an outcast at hearing family events.

Some people try to take advantage of you because they think you are simple-minded.

Not all places obey the ADA law. Not all TV or online shows have closed captioning. Not all events are Deaf-friendly.

People still assume it is accurate to call you mute, deaf & dumb or hearing impaired. Mute, dumb or hearing impaired have a negative derogatory connotation. Please call us Deaf or HoH (hard of hearing). If you are not sure about which term to use, just ask us.

[/wc_column][/wc_row]

Once in a while, I will find myself wishing I could hear my daughter’s laughter. However, I am able to be hearing. I cannot deal with constant background noise. When I am chatting with a hearing person via sign language, that person often gets distracted by noises, interrupting our conversation.  I do not want to hear gossip. I do not want to hear bad music. Also, I prefer to communicate with my hands rather than use my voice.

Still think YOU are cut out to be Deaf?

1. Fareeha says:

I am so glad I came across this blog. You are a beautiful person. And yes, you SPEAK volumes through your blog.

2. Iman Brooks says:

The fact that people think some the the question they ask are okay is outstanding. People have no respect.

3. I appreciate the peek into your life. My mother is hearing-impaired. She lost most of her hearing to oto-sclerosis during college. She also liked that if she took out her hearing aids she didn’t have to worry about all the noise. She didn’t hear us scream when we were little at night. If we wanted her we had to get her attention by touch.

We have so many sweet shared memories. Like the time she yelled at our dog out the back door to stop barking… and I told her “Mom, she’s not barking. She’s catching snowflakes!”

It gave our whole family an appreciation for the deaf culture. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for sharing a super sweet/funny memory about your mom! My 2 years old daughter learned that if she needs my attention, she will tap my leg… Sometimes she pinches or scratches. :\

4. Wow – this is awesome! You really laid out points about being deaf that the hearing world certainly never thinks about. Thanks for educating me. My daughter Has permanent nerve damage in her left ear and has consequently lost most of her hearing in that ear.

5. In a way it would be nice to turn off sound! My crying or whining kid, that would be nice! I’ve always wanted to learn sign language though. Happy Thanksgiving!!

I agree! In a way it would be nice to be able to hear music or my daughter’s voice. You can learn sign language via YouTube. So easy to learn! I hope you do. 😉 Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!

6. Miriam says:

i never thought about heating like this. You really gave me a lot to think about.

7. Courtney says:

This is such a beautiful post. Thank you for opening my mind to what it’s like to be deaf and the challenges and beauty that comes along with it.

8. Brittany says:

I loved getting a peek into your life. You brought up some very interesting points and it was very eye opening.

Brittany

9. Rebecca says:

This post really made me stop and think. A world of quiet seems peaceful, but there are big challenges too.

10. Nikki says:

Wow I didn’t realize hearing impaired had a negative connotation or was deamed derogatory. I’m so glad I’ve read that here though so I know now and don’t accidentally offend anyone. Thank you for sharing your story.

A lot of Deaf people don’t consider their hearing loss an impairment. We don’t view ourselves as disabled and that term makes us feel ‘less than.’ I’m glad I saved you from accidentally offending anyone and you’re very welcome!

11. I enjoyed reading this and your ability to make me laugh even over a serious topic such as the cons of being hearing impaired, “Be prayed over by an old lady holding your ears with her hands asking God to bless your ears.” lol 🙂 er.. that could be a pro depending on how you look at it! I am quite jealous of your ability to read a book without any distractions. (I am a huge bookworm) On a good note, I was taught the alphabet in sign language at the age of 10 and I was able to retain it and teach my DD basic signs like, “milk” ,”more”, and “all done”. By the time she was 10 months old she was able to communicate with me by signing those few words before she could talk.

Im glad you enjoyed this post! I don’t know why it’s always an old lady. I’m still Deaf, so her prayer didn’t work. 😉

I love, love and love when babies sign. So cute! My daughter’s first sign was NO! I am actually working on a post about my daughter and sign language.

12. Elizabeth says:

What a beautiful post. I think it’s so interesting and wonderful for you to share your perspective and experience.

13. I love this one. It’s so hard to appreciate the little things in life — such as hearing — when it’s not taken away from you. I’m sorry to hear you didn’t/couldn’t hear your baby’s crying but on the other hand…that might be a blessing on a Saturday morning? ^^,

You are such a beautiful person. Continue to inspire others.

14. Kate says:

Loved this post! I took 2 years of ASL in college and learned so much about the Deaf community and had the opportunity to attend many Deaf culture events. I thought I would never really use t much after college but ended up in Rome, Ga near Georgia School Deaf, in a church with a huge Deaf population, neighbor’s that are Deaf and a close friend with a Deaf husband. Can’t wait to share your blog!

15. Cindy Calzone says:

I always wanted to learn sign language, just as another form of communication. I had a friend in high school who was deaf so she taught me a little. When my son was a baby, I taught him a little signing before he could even talk. I just think it is a beautiful form of language. I imagine it can be hard at times, but I love that you can come up with a sizable amount of “pros”. That is inspiring!

So easy to learn sign language on your own now with YouTube, signing DVDs, flash cards, etc! My daughter is obsessed with Signing Time! on Netflix. Anyways, thank you!

16. Alysha says:

this is so enriching. thank you. I am a Mormon. We have many missionaries who serve to the Deaf community and I am so thankful for their ability to bridge the gap and help us communicate with each other. this is some truly unique perspective and I really appreciate it.

subscribing!

Alysha

I used to have some Mormon friends and their church is really involved with the Deaf community. It is truly awesome to have a church where almost all hearing people know sign language. No language barriers or feeling isolated. Not many churches are like that. Thank you!

17. […] Now, growing up Deaf has its pros & cons, you can read more about it HERE. […]

18. Tamara says:

Oh my goodness, the statements at the intro… those people are serious, right? Can you laugh about them, or do they annoy you?

If asked the question if I cold imagine being deaf I’d probably say “rather than being blind”. I think being deaf doesn’t restrict daily life as much as if you can’t see and need a person’s and/or dog’s help at all times.

Nice meeting you!

Yes…. those people were serious. It depends on how they ask those questions. Sometimes I reply back rudely, sometimes I take the time to explain. You wouldn’t believe how many people would rather be blind than be deaf just because of the ability to hear. Being deaf doesn’t restrict you at all because we are able to drive, walk the dog, go shopping, etc.. For blind people, they will often help to walk the dog, drive, and stuff like that. I am not an expert on what blind people need, so I hope I don’t seem ignorant here.

It was nice meeting you, too!

19. […] She is a typical healthy child with no disabilities/issues. She will never really experience the struggles I went through. She will be able to attend any kind of school and be able to get any kind of job […]

20. […] can check the PROS & CONS of being deaf here to educate yourself even further. However, if you feel unsure, please ask the deaf mom for […]